Friday, October 9, 2009

I Need Space

So here it is... October... Autumn.... Fall.... The cool air gently singing summer to sleep and ushering in the long night. The smell of dust bunnies awakened by the first rattle of the heater. The slow rise of smoke from the chimney. The tea kettle whistling it's tune again after a long rest at the back of the stove. The winter beard coming in full to shield my face from the sting of the winter winds to come. Scarfs, hats, hoods, wool socks, coats....and just around the bend, large family gatherings sharing meals, conversing about life, and celebrating holidays.

What a wonderful season.

I am greatly inspired in the fall. It's just easier for me to see the beauty in creation and in life. I can feel melodies stirring in my soul. I am excited to start tracking this project!


Hurdle #1

I need space. I think the biggest hurdle for me right now to starting this project, is having a designated space to set up my gear, create, and record. My humble 1,100 square foot house is at maximum capacity with the four of us, so all the instruments currently reside in a large corner of our garage, packed away in cases and crying out to be used. On this note I have had two ideas.

First: Build out a small 10x10 room in the garage. I am somewhat handy and could do 90 percent of the work my self. I like this idea because it would be a way to work out of home with enough privacy to focus. The down side is that it would take time to build, since the labor would need to be in my limited spare time. I am estimating $1000.00 to $1500.00 Dollars to get this room up and running.

Second: Rent space. I recently was asked if I would be interested in renting some space on Western Ave. A 400 square foot loft style, finished out, office space in a very well built and insulated commercial building. When I got to the top of the stairs and turned on the light my jaw dropped. It was perfect! It had a bathroom, a little kitchenette, and plenty of closet space beneath. I felt my self stuffing the excitement down with both hands has I pictured a small studio in the room. I was trying not to get my hopes up......well....because of the money. The reality is I don't really have the extra cash flow to be renting something right now. So the verdict is that the space would cost me $200 a month, if I could find two others to rent the large shop space below for $400. I have found one taker and would need to find one more. Also I would need to find away to come up with an extra $200 a month. Ironically the only sign on the whole building reads, in bold; HOPE.

Third: A place that someone would let me use for a month or two free of charge. A place where I could come and go freely. A place where I could leave all my gear set up. A place where noise and time would not be an issue.



I am doing my best to think creatively about how I can get the ball rolling on this. The bottom line is that I need space and I need help. It has been a dream of mine for quite sometime now to have a space to create music. I am believing that the time is now to step out and move forward. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on this topic, please send them my way.


Eager to begin.....

No comments: